Wednesday, December 12, 2012

The one month mark:

Today is exactly one month since my diagnosis. I can honestly still sit here and say I am not sure it feels real. What makes having cancer feel real? Is it the bone marrow aspirations, lumbar punctures, or long treatment days? I am not quite sure I have figured it out yet. I am waiting for that “a ha” moment, but it is yet to come. I get out of bed every morning and pretend I am going to go to work or school. Like I might have woken up from a bad dream and everyone will look around and say “Wow Katelyn handled that really well”. But then I stop in my tracks to remember to take my laundry list of 9:00am medications. I still have not had a “why me” feeling. Yes there have been some tears, but those are expected.  I feel like I just push forward taking this on one step @ a time. Honestly, who has time to ask “why me”, I have things to do. I am sure there will be some days to come but for now I hang in there and just push forward, wondering when it is going to hit me.

I had another bone marrow aspiration yesterday. It showed 1% blasts in my marrow! I was shocked to hear this as just the week before I had 43% blasts. I guess this crazy stuff is working J Although I question them every time because I still have my hair. (They say this week…or next. Or who knows maybe never.) While I jump for joy at 1% blasts, I still sit here and think 2 years and 1 month to go. It’s a little bittersweet. I will continue to go day by day till day 29. That is the end of induction therapy. I will then be broken off into a risk group for consolidation. I will have a little bit of a better understanding of what the next phase entails.
I was able to complete my final exams over the past two days. All I have left to do is my literature review and I am done for Fall 2012! I cannot wait. Just one semester left till graduation! I am pretty sure they are going to have to hold me down from running across that stage J
Well off to enjoy some dinner with Chris…

Till next time…KMS

1 comment:

  1. Can't believe it's been a month. cOngrats on completing the semester, I am so proud of you!
    They aren't going to know what hit them when you graduate, you running across the stage and your fan club screaming!
    You are a truly amazing young woman; your grace, strength and determination is awe inspiring. Love you Katy O'Grady

    ReplyDelete